About Me

My photo
My name's Molly Thomas and I'm a fourth year Journalism student at the University of Regina. I am passionate about television broadcasting and hope to be a foreign correspondent one day. Until then... I'm learning to love and embrace print. Easier said than done coming from a girl that writes at a snails pace ha NEVER BLOGGGED BEFORE... So this'll be MORE than interesting -- (cut this brown girl some slack as she gets her bearings) haha This blog is for my Broadcast 305 Intermediate Print Class -- it'll detail my thoughts on my beat, International News.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Past My Bedtime

So when our professors said newspaper layout, they truly mean newspaper CAMP OUT.

It's rounding midnight and I can't remember what masthead, font size or text box even mean. When I started refining my pages at noon, I thought I was ahead of the game. Clearly seeing the finish line, racing after that racetrack bunny. But 11 hours later... and Myles and I are still here. The best part... after everything's laid out, you must wait for EACH page to print separately. Approximately 1 and a half minutes per page :) yeeee times that by 60! Then take that number and times that by 4 separate massive pages gahhhhh

So for all you future layout groups, bring a sleeping bag, maybe a cushy pillow and some tylenol. Because one displacement of a photo could send your whole page and head reeling.

So here are my survival tips:
1)PREPARE: Do as much as you can before your print day so you're not spending your Thursday night hugging the printer, and praying it will start up again... (that was Myles by the way).
2)LINGO: learn Mark's newspaper lingo beforehand... so you don't look like a complete idiot when it comes to Quark. GUILTY!
2)SLOW: don't expect it to be quick and easy. It's a long and complicated process if you're not familiar with this software.
3)SNACKS: pack the basics... it's survival mode after dark.

Our consolation is that your stories are fabulous and we were happy with our final layout. Sweat, blood, tears and a TEMPLATE went into this for the rest of you! You can thank us later ;)

CAN'T YOU WAIT TO GET STARTED?!?

Mwahahaha group one is done (the evil laughter is wearing off and the salty tears of a very tired brown girl are taking cheek) Out of here before the downpour...

No comments:

Post a Comment

BBC News | News Front Page | World Edition