About Me

My photo
My name's Molly Thomas and I'm a fourth year Journalism student at the University of Regina. I am passionate about television broadcasting and hope to be a foreign correspondent one day. Until then... I'm learning to love and embrace print. Easier said than done coming from a girl that writes at a snails pace ha NEVER BLOGGGED BEFORE... So this'll be MORE than interesting -- (cut this brown girl some slack as she gets her bearings) haha This blog is for my Broadcast 305 Intermediate Print Class -- it'll detail my thoughts on my beat, International News.

Friday, November 27, 2009

Re-evaluating the Vote

As a politically engaged journalism student, I generally take my right to vote very seriously. However, I must admit, in the past it has been tempting to forgo the political process when civic election's roll around.

I remember being sprawled out on my couch when the ballots for the 2006 civic election were cast. Instead of making the treacherous walk down the block, I gave up and went to bed early. It was completely a convenience issue for me, and I didn't feel the need to get out and vote. Apparently, I wasn't alone. Only 36% of Regina residents made it to the ballot box. One interview made me think about this apathy and re-evaluate the way I was voting.

Palwashah Humayun is originally from Afghanistan, a country marred by internal and external conflict. Growing up, she barely remembered elections, only those held at the city level. But then again, she was a woman, and therefore not allowed to voice her political opinion.

Humayun left her homeland in 1992 when the Mujahideen over ran the Soviet forces and tried to take control of the country. Ethnic tensions led to an internal bloodbath; Humayun knew she had to flee.

She and her husband escaped into India, eventually ending up in Canada. Today, she is a proud Canadian citizen. Humayun now votes whenever she can.

Perhaps Humayun has a better understanding of the what it means to vote. She has lived within conflict, she has been denied the opportunity, and so maybe she values her political freedoms more than I do. Looking at her home country now, Afghanistan still doesn't have free elections. They were supposedly introduced in 2004, however the hostile conflict and opposition hardly constitutes democracy. Moreover, the recent elections were marred by corruption in the voting process so it's hard to call it a success.

Speaking with Humayun she has a passion for having her voice heard. Even as she tells me her story, she is excited and enthuiastic about her rights as a Canadian citizen. How come I don't always feel this way? The 77% of Regina residents that didn't vote in this year's civic election seem to share the same apathy.

Where's the passion gone in politics?

The US got a taste of it last fall. Prior to his election, Barack Obama ran a campaign that stirred up American pride. Voters were out in record numbers. But how do we get to the same point or better as Canadians?

It's a difficult question but maybe the solution is simpler than we think.

Perhaps we don't know what it's like to have these freedoms taken away. Perhaps we take for granted the electoral process that is for the most part, fair across the country. And perhaps we don't look closely at the immigrants in our community, to understand their stories.

With 10,000 new immigrants coming to Saskatchewan alone, we have a great opportunity to learn from these people first hand.

If we can't inspire ourselves, maybe we have to lean on our foreign neighbors to bring us an outside perspectives. It may be these newcomers that bring a sense of pride to the voting system, and ignite a country on fire for democracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

BBC News | News Front Page | World Edition